You can visit my fundraising page at justgiving.com/wardwalkslondon
I'm not expecting everyone to rush out there and pledge, but there's an option to act impulsively if you want to. I'm sure I'll be plenty of other opportunities in the next 6 months!
Just a quick reminder about my chosen charity. The June Hancock Mesothelioma Research Fund was set up in 1997 to do each of the following:
- Encourage and sponsor research into mesothelioma;
- Contribute to clinical trials of novel drug therapies for mesothelimoa;
- Raise awareness of the disease amongst healthcare professionals and the public;
- Provide good quality up to date information and advice for mesothelioma sufferers and their carers;
- Campaign for delivery of the Mesothelioma Charter.
Mesothelioma is a relatively rare cancer, usually caused by exposure to asbestos, which attacks the membrane that covers most of the internal organs in the body, the mesothelium. The cancer usually develops in the lining of the lungs, the pleura, and it develops rather quickly. Treatment has limited sucess, and lifespan from diagnosis is short - we only had a few months with Dad before he died. You might have read a bit about the bleakness of mesothelioma when Malcolm McLaren died earlier this year, but there's more about malignant mesothelioma on wikipedia.
It's a terrible cancer. But I think we can make some difference here, so if you want to give me a jump start on donations, please do!